Monday, May 22, 2006

Quicksilver Golf Classic presented by Ameriprise

I'm near Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania this week. I've never been to the Pittsburgh area and I'm surprised that it is so hilly here. The golf course this week is a very good one. It's hosted several tournaments before, but this is the first time the Hooters Tour has visited. Here's a link to the golf course and here's one to the scorecard and to some pictures.

Driving over to Pittsburgh was an easy drive. However, I didn't know how expensive the toll roads in Indiana and Ohio are. To drive all the way across Indiana it cost about $5, but to drive all the way across Ohio it cost $9. That doesn't sound like much, but I'm used to the Illinois tolls that cost about $.75. The nice advantage to having the tolls is that as a driver you will see many more frequent rest areas and much nicer rest areas. Going across Ohio, there seemed to be a rest area every 50 miles. Inside the rest areas were spacious with very clean restrooms. They also had a wide variety of restaurants (Panera Bread, Starbucks, Fazolis, TCBY, and Sbarro), not just McDonalds or Burger King. The rest areas also had free wireless internet, which is something I'll remember for future drives across these states. Finally, the rest areas have gas stations so you can fill up with gas right off the internet instead of taking an exit and finding the nearest pump.

So my point is that the toll roads keep travelling across that state very convenient and relaxing, which is definately something I'm looking for. On the other hand, I'm cheap and refused to fill my car up with gas in Ohio when I was already paying $9 to cross the state. Ha! I'll pay the toll road fee, but will not pay the gas tax (almost like double taxation). Instead I filled up immediately after I crossed into Pennsylvania.

More tomorrow, Neil

No comments: