Tuesday, September 18, 2007

It Wasn't Pretty, But It Wasn't Terrible

My first round at PGA West was full of nerves, mistakes, timely birdies, and some great saves. I expected to be nervous, but what I felt on the first few holes was strange. The nerves made club selection more difficult. During the practice round, the first 5 holes were straight foward (with the exception of number 3. In the tournament round, I had a tough time getting through those holes at +2.

After the rough start where I was +4 through 7 holes I made a few birdies, and if it wasn't for 2 bad swings that put the ball in a hazard, I played well on the last 11. The best thing I had going today was my attitude. Even with the bad start, I was able to shake off all the bogeys and stay focused on my next shot. It was only the first round and I've got a lot more holes before I'm done. You don't have to go back very far before you'll find a tournament (Wisconsin State Open) where the 4 round tournament was a long week and wasn't over until the last round.

If you're interested, you can check out hole-by-hole stats.

Round 2 will be at 8:50. Check the results here


Neil

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Alright - a little better in round 2. There's no doubt about it, you belong there. You got two more rounds of opportunity to show it. Just play your game and make it happen. Jonah