Sunday, September 16, 2007

Columbus to Omaha to Dallas to Palm Springs; all in 24 hours

Boy am I glad this tournament isn't on the Dakotas Tour. Every tournament on the Dakotas Tour has a cut at around 30 players. If that was the case at the Nebraska State Open, I wouldn't have played a 3rd round. This tournament didn't have any cut, so everybody is invited for all three rounds.

I shot a final round 67 (4-under) and moved up enough places to receive a check. Most importantly, I putted really good today. Unlike the 2nd round, I actually think I got almost everything I could have out of my 67. Without question, I hit the ball better while shooting my 71, but I got the ball in the hole much better with the 67.

My ball found a lot of trees today, but I was able to make the most of what was given to me and hit punch shots back into the fairway or even onto the green. My ball hit a tree on holes 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 13, 14, 15, and 16. Holes 1, 13, 14, 15, and 16 I was left with a punch shot and I made a birdie on holes 13, 15, and 16.

It was a lot of fun to finally score well on a day where I don't hit it perfect. I still hit the ball very good (as you'll see from the stats), but it was far from how well I hit it in round 2.

Ballstriking: 39
Putting: 28

Tomorrow will be the toughest day in my 8 day marathon. I have a 5:50 am flight to Texas and then a connecting flight to Palm Springs. I should land in Palm Springs before noon. I will then pick up my rental car and drive to PGA West and play a practice round to get ready for Q-School, which starts Tuesday. I know I'll be tired on the golf course, but I'm going to have to stay focused during my practice round so I know what to expect come Tuesday. Everybody I've talked to has mentioned that the Norman Course at PGA West is really difficult so seeing it before the tournament will be very helpful.


Neil

No comments: