Thursday, June 22, 2006

Steps in the Right Direction

I hit a lot of good shots today and actually played a really good round of golf. I played the par 5's +3 for the day and that doesn't get it done on the Hooter's Tour; they are the easiest holes we play since nearly half of them are reachable in two shots. Tomorrow I hope to reverse that +3 to -3. Besides the par 5's I played even golf, which I'm proud of because last week I played the par 4's +12 and the par 3's +2.

This week the par 3's are really tough because they are 225 yards, 221 yards, 219 yards, and 161 yards. I hit 2-iron, 2-iron, 3-iron, and 9-iron on those respective holes and played them well. Over the past few weeks my long irons have been a major weakness so making a birdie on a par 3, with a 2-iron, is good.

My putting was really good today too. I felt as comfortable on the greens as I have felt since I was in Pittsburgh a month ago. I made 50', 18', 13', 10', and 6' putts and felt good about making everything else I looked at. The greens are bermuda grass which is very different grass from what I putt on in Wisconsin. I've always struggled on bermuda grass greens so it made me feel good that my putting stroke was confident today. Here are a couple pictures of what bermuda grass is:

Four-pronged blade of grass isn't right (no wonder there is grain in the green)

Imagine a ball dropping into rough like this (it's not fun)

Until tomorrow,

Leaderboard

Neil

P.S. Partial credit will be given to Elizabeth for correctly guessing the picture. Being three hours later than Brent means you get two-thirds credit. More trivia is coming...

No comments: