Tuesday, June 06, 2006

A Long Trip Into My Mind And Eventually North Carolina

Monday was a long day. It began in Evanston, Illinois and ended in Statesville, North Carolina. Here is what happened throughout the day and a few thoughts I had.


  • 3:30 am: Cell phone alarm goes off…roll over and reset alarm for 4 am.

  • 4:00 am: Cell phone alarm goes off…roll over onto floor.

  • 4:35 am: Start driving…only 780 miles, 6 States, and one mountain range to go through.

  • 5:59 am: Drive by Remington, Indiana. Develop a sudden urge to shave or hire a private investigator.

  • 7:00 am: A minute turns into the quickest hour of my life as I cross into EST.

  • 12:45 pm: Stop for lunch. Pasta for power.

  • 1:50 pm: See a variable message sign (VMS) that states, “Kentucky’s Highway deaths are down from 2005. Let’s keep it up.”…Thanks, I’ll do my best.

  • 2:30 pm: Making good time through Kentucky, hoping to be in Knoxville, TN by 4 pm.

  • 3:45 pm: Stuck near the Kentucky/Tennessee border in horrible traffic thanks to some construction. Hoping to be in Knoxville by…anytime.

  • 5:15 pm: Pull over at a rest stop and take a short nap.

  • 5:55 pm: Wake up with a kink in my neck thinking, “Am I really waking up inside a car that's 90 degress, in the middle of Tennessee, with some weird trucker right outside my window?”

  • 7:00 pm: Enter the Smoky Mountains. Find myself coughing the rest of the night.

  • 9:30 pm: Arrive at my hotel in Statesville, NC. I can’t tell you what hotel I’m staying at, but there are two trees involved.


It took me 16 hours to get to North Carolina. Every time I drove by a car with two passages, I cursed them because I would've loved to have another driver to help me out.

End transmission,
Neil

No comments: