Saturday, August 08, 2009

Hillcrest Invite 2nd & 3rd Round

No update yesterday because I checked out of my hotel and moved into a house where I don't have access to internet.

Friday's round wasn't pretty, but I managed to shoot under par - 71. That was my only round in the morning (both the 1st, 3rd, and 4th rounds I tee off after 1pm) so I would've liked to have taken advantage of smoother greens, cooler temperatures, and calmer wind, but I just didn't hit it well enough to make it into the 60's.

On Saturday, weather was the story. It was forecasted to be the hottest day of the year. Temps were supposed to reach 100, with high humidity. It was very sticky when hitting range balls, but a steady wind kept it cool and storms began to brew off in the distance. The storms never reached us, but they definitely altered the wind. It shifted a few holes into my round and that made the golf course different than what it had been all week. I shot an even par 36 on the front side, with a bogey on number 9. My start to the back nine was horrendous. I bogied 10 and 12, with a lucky par save on 11.

Things turned around on 13. I made a 15 footer for birdie, then followed that up with another birdie on 14 - this time a 20 foot birdie putt. I then made a bad par on the short par 5 15. On 16, I knocked a 4-iron to 8 feet and made the putt for birdie. Number 17 was playing downwind, but I could only managed a par on the par 5. Then on 18, I made a 10 footer for birdie to shoot a 2-under 70. I was very lucky to birdie 4 of the last 6 holes.

I hit the first 6 greens today and played those holes 1-under par. I missed the next 6 greens and played those 3-over par. I then hit the final 6 greens and played those holes 4-under par. Quite a roller coaster of emotions!

Final round is Sunday. I am at 6-under and the leader is at 13-under. I think I'm in the top-15, but I'm not sure. Results will be posted later tonight. You can check them out at this website.

After my round on Sunday I will be driving to Kansas City, MO to get ready for my Nationwide qualifier on Monday.

Neil

No comments: