Tuesday, August 18, 2009

2nd Round - WI State Open

Another good round in Sheboygan. It was very windy today and I started the round with 2 bogies through the first 6 holes. I made a great eagle on #16 (my 7th) and didn't look back from there. I hit a 5-iron from 230 yards to about 12 feet and made the putt for an eagle.

No bogies after that eagle, but I had to make some nice saves to keep it that way. On #18 (my 9th), I had to two-putt from 70 feet. On #3 (my 12th), I got up and down from behind the green. I pitched my ball into the fringe and let it just trickle onto the green. Once onto the green, it was downhill all the way to the hole. On #5 (my 14th) my tee shot hit a tree and bounced back into long grass. I pitched out and left myself 30 yards to the pin. My ball was in the first cut of rough so I could easily flop the ball high in the air and have it land soft on the green. I made the 10 foot putt for par. The final nice save was on #6 (my 15th), which played and one of the toughest holes of the day. Instead of hitting it at the pin, I hooked the ball to the left side of the green and chipped it up to 3 feet. Being left of the green was a much easier up and down then if I had short-sided myself on the right.

Final day is Wednesday, but we get to play 36 holes so this tournament is only half done. It's pretty special that 2 guys from the same town are in 1st and 2nd. I hope it finished that way.

Neil

3 comments:

Brad Johnson said...

Whatever you are doing Neil, keep it up. Seems like you've always been in the mix this year and you are looking great in the WI State Open! Great playing tomorrow!

Brad Johnson said...

I was watching those final rounds like I watch the majors from work and it was a real nail-biter. Same result as the Masters, US Open, and British Open -- my guy didn't win. I'm sure that was a disappointing finish, but you outplayed all but one other guy by 4 strokes, so that is something to be proud of. Hope you earned a great paycheck too!

Anonymous said...

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm"
- Thomas Fuller
I certianly don't think that what you did by finishing 2nd in the Open was a failure, but as a former college athlete myself I have a feeling you take it that way. My heart broke when I saw you didn't win but you're right there my friend! your progress the last couple yrs has been very cool to follow. Next year I'm there for you on the bag if you need it! Keep your head up and go get the next W - don't let the loss be what you're remembered for.
- Rossi