Monday, April 17, 2006

Monday Qualifier a Success

Hello Everybody,

I'm writing from Augusta, Georgia with news that I successfully monday qualified into this week's event. I would have been exempt if I had played one more event, but since last week was my first one I had to earn my way into this tournament. It was actually good for me to play a round that meant something. If I didn't make it I would've had to decide whether or not to come home tonight or stick around until Thursday to see if I could sneak in as an alternate.

I shot a 76, and 79 was needed to qualify. Through 14 holes I was even par and then I finished bogey, bogey, par, double. Not a very good finish, but overall it was a really good day. I hit the tee ball great and had control of my iron play. It's too bad that I didn't make more putts through the first 14 holes because I could have had a better score.

This new course is totally different than last week's course. Last week, the bermuda grass was all dormant (which means dead) so there was no rough. This week has thick rough and fairways that aren't dormant, but quite healthy. Also, the greens this week are bent grass which is what we are all used to up North. I'll be working hard on the greens the next two days so I can putting can catch up with my ball striking.

As I said before, I'm writing from Augusta, Georgia. The main reason for that is because I don't have access to the internet in McCormick, South Carolina. I don't even get cell phone service there so it's kind of like a black hole for technology. I don't know how I will be updating throughout the week, but I'll figure something out. If you want to know where McCormick, South Carolina is look on a map at the Georgia-South Carolina border. North of Augusta (Georgia), but South of Greenville (South Carolina) is where I'm at. All around me are State Parks and Strom Thurmand Lake. Gorgeous area to visit if you want to fish or spend time on a lake. It isn't crowded at all, very quiet.

The reason I traveled to Augusta today was to 1) get something to eat (my only choices in McCormick are Subway and Hardees) 2) find internet service (I found some in a hotel's parking lot: Thank you Augusta Suites Inn) and 3) drive past Augusta National Golf Club. It was cool to see Magnolia Lane. It is right off the road and despite a strong urge to pull in there, I did not.

That's all for now. Hopefully I'll post again later this week.

Neil
This Week's Field (my name will be added soon)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is really cool that you qualified; good luck this week.