Wednesday, October 26, 2005

PGA Q-School Day 2

74: A better day, but still a lot of shots left out there and a lot of improvement needed. I finished the day pretty well, hitting the ball much better the last 10 holes. Unfortunately I had a very rough start to my second round. On the very first hole, I hit my drive in the middle of the fairway, but there is a tree there and my ball came to rest directly behind the tree. I had to take an unplayable lie and drop. Only a few holes later, the fairway had trees in the middle again and once again I hit the tree. This time it hit the tree and bounced back 60 yards. Instead of having an 8-iron in, I had a 2-iron. Tough start. I jokingly said to the guys I was playing with that I wasn't aiming for the trees, but rather the fairway. I didn't get mad because I hit the shots in the fairway, it was just bad luck that the course was designed with trees in the middle of the fairway.

I was proud that I didn't give up after that frustrating start. I'll admit that I was on the brink of getting really upset, especially considering the unfortunate ruling the first day. I just did my best to shake it off and by the time I got to the back nine I was focused on my game and the shots ahead, not the bad breaks that had already happened.

Looking at the scores, I'm well back of the top 20 and without putting up a couple of low rounds I will not advance to 2nd stage. There are plenty of things left to play for and I will do my best to improve each of the next two days. Keep following the results at www.qualifyingtournament.com

I will update again tomorrow.

Neil

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice come-back after that first day. Good luck tomorrow.