Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Nebraska State Open- Final Round

I made a great move the last day in Nebraska. My first two rounds were about as bad as I could've played. I hit the ball great in round 1 and round 2, but a few too many mistakes left me with a 1-under par 70 both Friday and Saturday.

On Sunday, things started to click. I still hit it as well as I did the first 2 days, but I made fewer mistakes - actually I only had one mistake (#14). My putter was solid all day, but I did have 3 or 4 putts burn the edge of the cup.

The highlight of Sunday was making back-to-back eagles on #12 and #13. I don't think I have ever made back-to-back eagles in my career. I know I'd never made them in a tournament.

#12 is a 330 yard par-4 which had a helping wind on Sunday. I felt confident with my drive so I aimed up along the o.b. on the left and let the wind drift the ball back to the right. I hit it to 10 feet and made the putt for eagle.

#13 is a 530 yard par-5 which also had a helping wind. I hit a great drive that left me 186 yards to the pin. From there I played an 8-iron safely to the center of the green. The pin was tucked 4 yards from the left edge of the green and anything left of the green would've bounced out of bounds - so playing to the middle of the green was conservative, but safe. I made the 30 footer for my second eagle in a row!

Those two holes weren't my only chances at eagles on Sunday. I had a 10 footer for eagle on #6. Then on #7, I drove it over the green and onto the fringe - resulting in a 60 foot putt for eagle. Finally, on #15 I hit an 8-iron to 20 feet and had my 5th chance at an eagle. The putt on #15 burned the edge, which means I was mere millimeters from having 3 eagles in 4 holes.

In all, Sunday was my an exciting ball-striking day. Considering that it was blowing 15-20 mph all day, makes it even better.

I've got two weeks off before my next event, but in the meantime I'll be moving to North Carolina. I drove to Charlotte immediately after Nebraska, but I have to travel to Arizona to retrieve my possessions that are stored in Phoenix.

Neil

1 comment:

Brad Johnson said...

Low round of the day by 2 shots -- nice job Neil!