Friday, October 26, 2007

What an Easy Trip to Georgia

I left Minneapolis, MN Wednesday morning and arrived in Valdosta, GA Friday afternoon. It was surprisingly easy. I made a trip of similar distances many times last year and it was always very difficult. I wish I knew what made this trip so much less exhausting. Plenty of things were done differently so maybe it was all of them combined.

1 - I had a different car. I swapped my little Honda Civic for a Pontiac Torrent. This left me with much more space and what seemed to be a much more comfortable seat. I also had a bigger gas tank, which meant fewer refuelling stops.

2 - I stopped in Chicago for one night (something I always did last year), but I also stopped in Atlanta. Instead of travelling all the way to my final destination in day 2 I decided to make a stop. I woke up Friday morning and drove the final 3 hours to Valdosta.

3 - I received several phone calls and text messages from my brother and friends. On the phone while driving is not the safest move, but I'd rather be awake on the phone then drowsy and counting mile markers. Once I get tired my mind wonders into exhaustion.

Whatever the reason, I'm excited to be in Valdosta getting ready for 1st Stage of Q-School. I practiced this afternoon and played 11 holes on the course.

Back to the driving...I might be somewhat biased because I grew up in western Wisconsin, but the prettiest part of my drive was through Wisconsin. Trempealeau, Jackson, Monroe, Juneau, and Sauk counties were all gorgeous sights for leaf peepers. It was like taking a color-blind test throughout the entire state.




Driving through the appalachian mountains I expected some nice views, but it's too early for the foliage.

Illinois and Indiana were the worst. I guess Illinois shouldn't really count because most of my driving through the state was Chicago.

More tomorrow.

Neil

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Neil,
Good luck at Stage one....keep the good play going!!

J Rossi