Wednesday, October 31, 2007

1st Stage - Round 1

This round had a 76 plastered all over it. I was nervous. I hit some very bad shots and failed to get routine chips up and down. I didn't hit the center of the clubface with my driver until the 7th hole. Despite grinding every shot really hard I still thought I would end up with a 76 at day's end. Somehow...I didn't.

Biggest reason for that was a 20 foot putt on #15 (hole #6 because I started on #10) that I made. I was in a bad spot way over the green. My ball was lying on top of the bermuda grass, which meant I couldn't flop it with a sand wedge for fear of going right underneath it. So I chipped a 9-iron into the fringe short. It didn't check up at all and ran to 20 feet. While reading the putt I was telling myself that this round would end up with a 76.

That putt went in for par and then I birdied #7 with a sand wedge to 8 feet.

I already admitted that I was very nervous, but I also had a lot of negative thoughts.

This is a very stressful tournament and every bad break or bad shot is reason to begin doubting yourself. I got some of those bad breaks today and definately hit some of those bad shots. I heard those doubts in my head, but I was able to reassure myself with the idea that I've got a lot of holes left before this tournament is done.

Hopefully my nerves will be less the rest of the week so I can swing and think like I was in the practice rounds. During those rounds I had clear and simple thoughts and rarely had a second thought as to which club to hit.

Thursday is a later tee time - 10:55

Course Avg.

Course Stats

Neil

No comments: