Sunday, July 30, 2006

Story Time

I intend to tell a story from Saturday, but first let me give details about Monday's tournament. I'm attempting to qualify for the Nationwide Tour's Cox Classic. I need to finish in the top 7 to make it into the event. My tee time is 11:10 so you might be able to check the results at this website after 4pm. Scroll down a little of half of the page and you'll see a tournament: Nationwide Tour Cox Classic Open Qualifiers at Indian Creek GC & Ironwood G & CC. Once the results are up, the small box with a gold diamond in the middle will have a link to scores. I play at Ironwood G & CC and it's supposed to be VERY hot and windy.

If I successfully qualify for the tournament, I will be looking for a caddy for the rest of the week. I'd need you for sure on Thursday and Friday, but it'd be great if somebody were available on Wednesday. When I make it, I'll see if anybody's interested and if anybody's able to take time off work. Send me an email if you're interested: mrneiljohnson[at]hotmail.com (For those who don't know, the [at] in my email is actually @. I'm just trying to avoid junk mail)

Now, I'll onto that story. I went shopping at Best Buy the other day and found a few movies I wanted to buy. Being on the road and in hotels as often as I have been this summer, I’ve found it very relaxing and enjoyable to watch movies. Most of the hotels have movie channels, but you cannot rely on HBO or Showtime to deliver when you ask.

After wandering the movie section for a good 10 minutes, I picked two movies to buy. One cost $19.99 and the other $9.99. Going through checkout I signed for a total of $21.45. The quick math in my head told me that wasn’t right, but I just assumed there was a sale on one of the movies that I was unaware of. The clerk handed me my bag and I began walking to my car.

Once outside, I fetched my receipt and looked at it. Turns out there was not sale, it’s just that the clerk only rang up the $19.99 movie. So I walked back inside and told the doorman about the mistake. He directed me back to the checkout counter and I promptly paid for the $9.99 movie.

A couple things struck me as odd about these happenings. First, the first time I went through checkout, the clerk checked my ID and signature for my credit card. When I returned, which could only have been 3 minutes at most, the clerk once again checked my ID and signature as if I decided to give him false ID this time.

The other thing that amazed me was how easy it was for me to get out of the store and into the parking lot with a DVD that hadn’t been paid for. I walked right by the doorman and right through the security EAS without raising suspicion. That doesn’t say a lot for my skills as a thief, but it really doesn’t say a lot about Best Buy’s security.

Am I the only one that wants to own one of those blue shirts employees wear around the store?

Neil

No comments: