Thursday, April 21, 2011

Columbia CC Round 2

Believe it or not, but I kind of got off to another slow start. Today's 2nd round was delayed for 90 minutes because of thunderstorms. I got to the course just as the morning wave was coming off of the course. I proceeded to sit around for 90 minutes and all of that waiting nearly put me to sleep. When I began warming up I felt lethargic and weak. I knew I had to shake that feeling asap. Not helping was the extreme humidity and sun beating down on me as I warmed up.

Teeing off of #10. I was determined to get focused quick and key in on my round, but a lazy approach shot on #10 came up short and spun back 20 feet off the front of the green. That poorly executed shot helped snap me awake and I got up and down for par.

On #12 I had 111 yards to the pin, but the hole was slightly uphill. I wanted to play the shot 114 yards and I remembered that my approach on #10 was 114. I knew I couldn't make the same lazy swing I made on #10. I made a good one #12 and hit the approach to 4 feet, making birdie.

The very next hole, I once again had 114 yards to the pin. Same club (52 degree wedge), but this time I hit it to 10 feet and made the putt for birdie.

A quick run of 3 birdies on 12, 13, and 14 got my round off and running. I had confidence to make aggressive swings without thinking about what the cut might be.

I continued my good play on the second nine with a nice approach to 4 feet on #3. Then I two-putted for birdie on the par-5 5th. My big mistake came on #6 where my approach sailed right of the green and into a hazard. It was a horrible swing. I was in the middle of the fairway with 133 yards to the pin. The shot was uphill, but downwind so I tried to hit a hard pitching wedge and simply swung too hard.

It was nice to back up Wednesday's good round with a solid round today.

Leaderboard

Neil

1 comment:

Brad Johnson said...

Great round Neil! Those are two really nice looking scorecards.