Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Columbia CC Round 1

This week's tournament is in Blythewood, SC and again we're playing 2 good golf courses. eGolf Tour has a reputation of playing good courses and I've enjoyed them. The last couple weeks the courses have been great and the weather has warmed up, which has awoken the dormant bermuda grass. No longer hitting off of crusty yellow grass - it's now turning green.

My first round got off to a slow start. I struggled on the short par 5 3rd, even after hitting a perfect tee-shot I had to make a 5 footer for par. Then on #6, I 3-putted for bogey. It was a horrible 3-putt, but I bounced back immediately with a birdie on #7. I made a 10 foot putt on #7 so that helped me regain confidence in my putter.

My drive on #10 went right, into the trees, and came to rest on the cart path. The paths are concrete, they're sand so there is no relief. That was just fine, because I had an opening through the trees and it wasn't a problem hitting a punch shot off of firm sand path. If the path had been concrete, my choice to take a drop would've closed the opening I had to the green. I hit the punch shot to 15 feet and made the putt for birdie.

I made a great save for par on #16. My drive went left into the trees and I chunked my 2nd shot, but got it back to the fairway. My 3rd shot was from 70 yards and I hit it to 2 feet, and tapped it in for par. That absolutely kept the momentum going on the back nine and allowed me to hit my approach on #18 to 2 feet to finish with a birdie.

Round 2 is at 12:30 on a different course.

Leaderboard

Neil

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your career, looks like you're pretty good. I'm terrible at golf so I just watch it on tv.
Lawn Care Services