Monday, July 08, 2013

Recap Dakota Dunes Open

All done in Saskatoon and I battled all weekend to finish T46, which earned me $651.  That wasn't a great pay day, but keep in mind that I only paid $450 to enter this event (as opposed to normally $1000).  I briefly talked about the first two rounds after Friday's round, but now I'll get into a deeper recap.

FIRST ROUND - 
1st tee time out, 7:30, with perfect conditions and a group that all played well.  I made three birdies and shot 33 on the front, but was beaten by both of my playing partners (30 & 32).  The back nine finished as a disappointing 36 because I had putts inside of 12 feet for birdie on 10, 12, 13, and 18 - and I failed to make any of them.  My lone bogey came on #16 with a bad 3-putt from 25 feet.  Basically my 3-under 69 was 2 or 3 shots higher than what it looked like and felt like.

SECOND ROUND - 
More perfect conditions in the morning helped that wave of golfers reach double digit under par and I teed off at 12:30 wondering if the cut would move to 7 or 8 under par.  I don't really concern myself with what the cut might fall at because I know if I play well, I'll be on the good side, but most of the afternoon golfers were mentioning that the cut could be a record low number.  Once I started playing golf I got off to a slow start and was +1 through 8 holes.  The ninth hole was a down-wind par-5 and I took advantage with a simple 2-putt from 15 feet (eagle try just burned the edge).  Two holes later I had another 2-putt birdie, this time from 40 feet.  The very next hole (3) I hit a 5-iron to about 3 feet and made my second straight birdie - 3rd in 4 holes.  I kept the momentum going with a 3rd straight birdie on #4 after making a nice 10 foot putt.  That stretch of 4 birdies in 5 holes, right around the turn, helped me make the cut on the number.

THIRD ROUND - 
Awful conditions after a 4 hole weather delay made the round very difficult.  It rained for 15 holes and it was just windy enough to annoy you.  I made 2 bogies and a double bogey on the front nine, which included a 3-putt for par on #2.  I birdied #10 and told my caddie that it's about getting those shots back one at a time.  I battled for the rest of the back nine and when the rain stopped with a few holes to go, I managed to make one more birdie on #17.

FOURTH ROUND -
Sunny conditions, but for the first time all week the wind started to blow.  I missed a short putt for birdie on 1, then lipped out for birdie on 2 and 3.  I bogied 2 of the next three holes, but quickly rebounded with a birdie on 16.  My third shot on #16 was 82 yards from the thick left rough.  I hoisted a lob-wedge high in the air and it landed 10 feet short and released right up to the pin - tap-in.  That shot turned my final round back into the good side.  I played pretty solid after that hole and made 3 more birdies without a bogey.


Overall, it's a positive that I made the cut and kept battling throughout the entire weekend.  My putting held me back all week, but that didn't stop me from stepping up on the next tee and hitting the drive right down the middle.

Now that the week is done, I'm off the the next tournament - Fort McMurray, AB.  It's way up north and I'm flying up there tonight.  Tuesday will be a light day for me, just a little bit of practice, before a practice round on Wednesday.  So far, these travels in Canada have been a great experience.  Every week is a new town, new course, new housing, and a new schedule so the biggest challenge has been getting accustomed to everything new as quickly as possible.  I play my best golf when all I'm focusing on is the shot at hand, instead of worrying about my flight to Calgary or trying to find housing in Winnipeg.

Goodbye from Saskatoon,
Neil

No comments: