Monday, January 07, 2008

Monthly Review: MAY

RESULTS:
Indian Hills Pro-am – 80
New Richmond CVGA – 78 – T-9th ($60)
St. Croix National CVGA – 72 – T-2nd ($164)
US Open Local Qualifier – 81
Bloomer CVGA – 67-35 – 2nd ($258)
Nationwide Tour Qualifier – 75 - DNQ

Money Won: $482
Stroke Average: 75.08
+/- Par: +24

It should be clear that my game was rusty during May. Scores varied from 67 to 81. I failed to qualify for a Nationwide event, but was able to make some money and gain some confidence during the CVGA events.

I played in a lot of different weather this month. The Indian Hills Pro-Am was chilly with a lot of wind and occasional showers. At New Richmond it was once again cool with a ton of wind. It was sunny with calm conditions for the St. Croix National CVGA. Then it was back to a lot of wind for the US Open Qualifier. The last two tournaments of the year brought good weather with very light winds. Basically I played well when the wind was calm and struggled when the wind was high.

During May I received a new driver that I used all year. This new driver was the best driver I've ever owned. I hit more fairways throughout the year than any other year. Several rounds were stress free because I wasn't chipping out of the woods and I wasn't taking a drop after hitting a drive into a lake.

I remember a wide range of thoughts throughout the month of May. After struggling at Indian Hills Pro-Am I was very dissapointed and worried that my swing would struggle like it did during 2006. During the round at New Richmond I was +6 through 6 holes and was just hoping to break 90. During the US Open Qualifier I hit some absolutely horrible shots and even missed a tap-in 14 inch putt. Those were the low points of the month.

At certain other times I felt very good about the progress I was making during the month. At St. Croix National I kept the ball on the golf course (thanks to the new driver) and that is the number 1 key to playing that course well. The Bloomer tournament was a big breakthrough for the month. I hit my irons really well that day and was in control of distance and direction with every iron. I did make one mistake that day; which was thinking I had the lead after 18 holes. I was the last group to finish and before starting my final 9 I thought I heard somebody say I was in the lead by a few shots. With that information I played the last 9 holes very conservative and without a sense of urgency. I failed to birdie a 250 yard par 4 as well as a 450 yard par 5. Once I finished the 27 holes I realized I was actually trailing by 2 shots before the final 9.

What I learned that day was to not trust an old man who mistakenly thought I was leading, but also to keep pushing for those birdies as if I'm way behind the leader. This lesson helped me in June with my two CVGA victories that month.

Next monday I will post about the month of June.

Neil

No comments: